Some thoughts about climate change and why we are where we are.
- The earth seems so big, we couldn't possibly use all the resources.
- The atmosphere seems so big we couldn't possibly pollute it to the point of hurt us.
- Rubbish isn't a problem. I put it in the bin and the government takes it away... somewhere.
- The world is so advanced now, we'll come up with a solution to fix it.
- There is always food in the supermarket and there is always water coming out of the tap.
- 1.5 degree temperature increase isn't much.
- We've always had bush fires, floods, heat waves.
What I've come to understand
- The world isn't infinite.
- There is no such place as 'away'.
- Any action multiplied by 7.7 billion is a lot. 7.7 billion meals each day. 7.7 billion drinks of water.
- Access to food and water will change dramatically over the next 10 years.
- The advanced, capitalist, growth at all cost world has some amazing capabilities, but if it prioritises greed, self and consumption then we will go further away from sustainability
- The world has been stable, for 10,000 years, but it is a lot more fragile than you think.
- We've never had this level, duration, frequency and timing of bush fires, floods and heatwaves.
It's everyones problem.